Independent Support

Impartial Advice, Support and Guidance

towards Educational Health & Care Plans for

Children and Young People aged up to 25 living with a Learning Need or a Disability



Our Independent Support Service, has been extremely successful and has been acknowledged in the Ofsted SEND Inspection Report (July 2017) as a service held in particular high regard by parents, professionals and leaders.

Our ISS staff will continue to support clients until this time, however some clients may need to continued support after this date. Your advisor will discuss this with you and ensure you receive continued support from SENDIASS.

As from 1 April 2018 Brent’s Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information and Advice Service will now be the only provider of Independent Support for EHC plans in the borough and they can be contacted on telephone 020 8937 3434.


Until 31 March 2018 we support parents and young people (aged up to 25) who need help with requesting an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHC Plan). EHC Plans replace the previously known Statements of Special Needs (SEN Statements) as from 1 September 2014.

If your child is not yet in school or has a learning need or disability, which is not currently being supported at school, you will need an assessment to determine if they need learning support which would be supported by an EHC Plan.

If your child has an existing SEN Statement, Brent Council will be in contact to inform you when your SEN Statement is due to be transferred into an EHC Plan.

EHC Plans aim to support the child or young person with learning/disabilities needs of which cannot be met by the existing resources in schools and colleges.  It therefore requires additional support to ensure each individual can achieve their best potential.

Our Independent Support Service aims to make the process simple and transparent for you, so please do call us if you would like impartial and confidential advice.

What we can do for you

Our Team of knowledgable Independent Supporters can help you by:

(a)  Explaining how the statutory assessment process works & support and guide you through the process;

(b)  Ensuring your views, needs and wishes are included in the assessment;

(c)  Attending meetings with you for support;

(d)  Ensuring you understand everything and can fully participate in the assessment;

(e)  Supporting you in drafting letters and any other supporting paperwork;

(f)  Checking your EHC Plan to ensure it is fit for purpose to achieve the goals set;

(g)  Signposting or referring you to other support or specialist services if required; and

(h)  Ensuring access to the “Local Offer” and how to use it.

What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer is a detailed list of services and provision offered in Brent which is available to parents, carers, children and young people.  The Local Offer should help you identify relevant services that may be needed to support your child’s needs and wellbeing, and we can help with you this.

The Local Offer contains details on:

Help & Advice
Money Advice
Social Care
Transition, and more.

Brent Carers Centre is here to help

Independent Support Service page - ISS Leaflet image 80 x 99You can find more information on our Independent Support Service by having a look at our Independent Support Service Leaflet, which includes contact details of other useful organisations.

For more information on how we can help you (including EHC Plans) please Contact Us and ask to speak to an Independent Support Advisor.